Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Home Decor project for Cute and Some Showcase #12 Challenge





This week, Cute and Some Showcase #12 theme is Home Decor. I am so excited about how this turned out. I went to Hobby Lobby this morning to get some paper (on sale this week for 50% off) and they had this cute wooden box in the clearance section for $2.40. I was thinking it would be great to use for embellishments and I could dress it up a little bit. I glass etched the J on the top of it with Armor Etching Cream. (It says to leave this on 5 -10 minutes, but it did not show up as much as I wanted on my last etching project, so I left it on this for 30 minutes and it turned out better). I then cut vinyl swirls for the sides and front. The letter was cut from Gypsy Font and the swirls were cut from Home Decor.

For the glass etching, this is how I used the vinyl negative and then applied the etching cream over that.

A good tip for using vinyl without transfer tape is to get some Scotch Joint Tape at Walmart in the paint section. You can get a large roll for a couple of dollars. It is slightly sticky, so it will help pull your vinyl and regular cuts off of the cricut matt, then you just lay them out where they need to be applied and use the cricut spatula to remove the tape. This can make it a lot easier when you have designs with a lot of swirls and things like this one had.

Be sure to check out Audrey's Blog to see all of the great projects and to enter your own Home Decor project in the Showcase Challenge this week. http://cuteandsome.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

- - Sheryl - - said...

I LOVE your box! OH MY. I want one - LOL
Fabulous job! Thanks for the entry into the showcase.
(I also leave my etching on for 20 mins)

Leslie said...

Very nice!

Stacy said...

Jean,
This is so cute and creative. I love it
Stacy

cricaholic said...

Oh, That is really PRETTY!!

MsJay said...

Very pretty.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

wow.. this is just beautiful

Audrey Frelx said...

Hi, Jean. Please come pick up your showcase award for this beautiful box, and thank you so much for playing with us. You've been wonderful in these showcases!!!